Travellers moved on from St John’s Lye in Woking in time for village fete

June 13, 2018
By

A large group of travellers has moved on from St John’s Lye in Woking leaving the green clear for the village fete on Saturday (June 16).

At least 40 caravans arrived on the Lye on Monday evening (June 11) prompting fears the fete would have to be abandoned.

However, Woking Borough Council served papers to move them on the next day and by Wednesday morning (June 13) they had left.

Residents reported “lots of rubbish” had been left behind but one told Get Surrey he was confident it would be cleaned up in time for the fete.

Some of the rubbish left on St John’s Lye on Wednesday morning (June 13)
(Image: @inside_woking/Twitter)

The resident said: “I am very happy for the St John’s community as the village fete can still go ahead.

“A big thank you to Woking Borough Council who did an excellent job at helping the local community and a big thank you to Surrey Police for the help they offered.”

Read More

Travellers in Surrey

Other residents on Facebook suggested the group had moved on to Stoke Park in Guildford , where another unauthorised encampment was seen on Wednesday morning.

Guildford Borough Council deputy leader Matt Furniss said the council was working to move the caravans on from the park “as quickly as possible”.

Article source: https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/travellers-moved-st-johns-lye-14777638


Famous Words of Inspiration...

Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *